History of the Church

Church sketchesFaith Presbyterian Church was born out of the unification of two churches: Pelzer Presbyterian Church (founded in 1883), and Williamston Presbyterian Church (founded in 1852). Each had their own long and faithful history in their respective communities full of faithful ministers, teachers, and members.

In 2006, the two churches were yolked under the ministry of the Rev. John Hallman. For many years the two congregations had separate Sunday morning services, but  we were brought closer together through joint Wednesday evening Bible studies, a shared Food Bank ministry, and joint services at special times throughout the year.

The formal move towards merging the two churches began in the summer of 2013 when both Sessions started seriously setting forth plans to do so. Presbytery officials were notified. In the spring of 2014, the Sessions elected a Unification Committee, two members from each church. They wrote a Unification Proposal which was approved by both Sessions and presented to members for information and discussion.

During 2014 the yoked congregations of the Williamston Presbyterian Church and Pelzer Presbyterian Church met with one Sunday morning worship service. Services were held at the Williamston sanctuary except for the fifth Sundays when services were held at the Pelzer sanctuary. Prior to that change, the place of worship alternated with services two months at Williamston and one at Pelzer.  The Rev. Aaron Ochart, who had served as Temporary Supply Pastor since November 1, 2011, was called as our minister on August 11, 2013. The Plan of Union for the Pelzer and Williamston churches was approved unanimously on April 28 by the Foothills Presbytery, meeting at the First Presbyterian Church in Anderson.

Faith Presbyterian Church observed Pentecost Sunday, May 24, 2015 as its first official service, held in the Williamston sanctuary. Members of both churches officially became members of Faith Presbyterian Church.Faith Family Picture